Sunday, June 19, 2011

Miss USA

The Miss USA Pageant was tonight (June 19th). While I quickly formed my opinions early into the contest, California was an excellent choice for Miss USA. I think she will represent the country well in Miss Universe. From the start of the pageant, I favored Tennessee, Alabama, and Hawaii. Two out of the three made it into the Final Four. Who knew I had such an eye for pageants? I guess the combination of dance seminars, cheerleading competitions, and fashion presentations will do that to you. 
I will always support TN if there is any chance of that person/team/state winning. As for the other contestants, I fell in love with the two when they presented their states at the beginning of the pageant. Alabama just so friendly and welcoming; Hawaii so stunning and beautiful. 
That’s just my general opinion. As for a fashion standpoint... California was not a forerunner until the evening gown segment of the competition. I’m still not a fan of the emerald dress. I will say that the color was perfect. The beading and sequins were absolutely gorgeous BUT... the bottom destroyed the gown. Mermaid flare was out of style years ago. And as for the bathing suit...polka dots? NOT the most flattering. (I’m not quite sure whose pick this was- the pageants or the contestants). She’s tall and thin and has the perfect body so I know she would look good in anything... I just think she would’ve looked even better in a solid color. California’s pictures, however, were THE most classic of the competition. Even though I just tore her  gown apart, I think she is a fabulous contestant. She even reminds me of Amy Adams So... CONGRATS, California!
I was confused by the dress Miss Texas was wearing. It was traditional white but involved a slit “the size of Texas.” (as us, Southerners, would say). The dress gave off this vibe as if she didn’t know what look to go for. As if she was trying to impress both liberal and conservative judges. It just wasn’t anything special. 
Alabama, as I could have guessed, went with the red evening gown. Maybe I’m just too obsessed with the SEC, but she would have disappointed the Roll Tide wearing any other color. The dress was an off-the-shoulder red ensemble with a lot of cleavage and a lot of leg. Personally, I think she should have chosen one or the other- a low cut neckline or a high cut slit. Together the two could be considered inappropriate. The dress seemed like a stereotypical pageant dress.
At first glance, I loved Tennessee’s dress. It was silver with almost too many embellishments. But she flaunted the bedazzled dress and it was extremely attractive. It being the hair + the makeup + the dress + the confidence. The dress ended at her upper thigh and became a transparent sheath to the floor. I felt like it worked for Tennessee but it was a very hard dress to pull off. It made me think of the new millennium- which was over 10 years ago. Like confetti that everyone happily tosses at midnight. Tennessee looked simply amazing... although there was nothing “simple” about her. She is your pageant princess. 
Now that I’ve given my 2 cents about the finalists dresses,’ I will conclude with my “favorite dress” award. While many will disagree, I think South Carolina had on a beautiful evening gown. It was definitely risky in a pageant as big as Miss USA. I respect her confidence to wear it. The earrings were quite overpowering with the large ruffles around the neckline. I would have probably left them out. Overall, she had the most stunning evening gown. It’s one of those dresses that will be remembered even when her name has been forgotten. Way to go, SC, for getting my approval!
AND... even though Giuliana Rancic was not competing, I ADORE the nude, beaded gown she wore while hosting. 
For more information regarding the pageant- photos, videos, etc.- visit the Miss Universe website at www.missuniverse.com/missusa

No comments:

Post a Comment