Monday, June 27, 2011

Day 10: Taking It To the Max

I have searched the past two years for a maxi dress that I did not completely have to alter. I’m 4’11; and while I actually like being short, I wish I could be just 2+ inches taller. On the positive, shorts are never too short in length, and neither are dresses. Something that I’ve heard way too often working retail. The flip side to that are jeans being incredibly too long, as well as maxi dresses or anything that is supposed to be “below the knee.” The maxi dresses I’ve tried to buy have either been at least a foot too long or entirely too drapey. And, in the worst case, one dress made me look like I had a baby bump. With rumors spreading quick in a small town, I will stay away from anything that makes me look pregnant. Maxi dresses have been in all the magazines, lookbooks, stores, runways, etc. Anywhere there is fashion, there is a maxi dress. So you can imagine my frustration! I make a purchase within 5 minutes... not 2 years! Just when I thought my search was over, I found the cutest maxi dress. It was a navy, halter maxi. (Let me just say that I have an obsession with navy. If I can’t decide on a color I always, always, always get the item in navy. It’s classic but not as boring as black. Although I believe black is anything but boring. Very contradictory, I know. That is my life). I slipped into the navy maxi KNOWING that I would have no luck whatsoever. And I actually was very wrong. The dress was the perfect length and it didn’t swallow my entire body (perhaps that is due to weight gain?). Of course after it fit, I had to buy it. It’s not often that a Maxi dress is made for a 4’11 lady. 
... I’ve mentioned before that I am from an incredibly small town. The closest mall is 30 minutes away and it is absolutely horrible. Southpark Mall in Charlotte is the closest that has the best stores and the most variety. And that’s 1.5 hours East. So my parents have always taught my sisters and me to shop local. Since I’m in Charlotte, I’ve gotten out of the habit and I am sorry to admit that I have. My family would always choose to buy local rather than supporting big corporations. Even though I’m in Charlotte these days, I still come home to Tryon to get my hair, nails, and facials done. When your roots are deeply rooted and relationships have developed far deeper than business, it is hard to take business elsewhere. My hairdresser, Stacy, who I love dearly and is near to the heart, just recently added clothing and accessories to her salon. Head Too Toe Salon and Boutique is a small place hidden in downtown Tryon. I honestly don’t know of another soul that can do hair as fast and as fabulous as Stacy. I know the woman would like to kill me since I want a new style every month and I’ve insisted going from jet black to platinum blonde :P She deals with me anyway... And for that, I have great respect. So about the boutique... Stacy just started selling clothing and accessories in April. Her idea was cheap but stylish. With the lack of clothing boutiques in Tryon, we both knew that it would do well. And it has! The boutique has been very successful.
This Maxi is available in other colors, as well!







What I'm Wearing:
Maxi Dress-- Head Too Toe Salon and Boutique
Silver Earrings- Head Too Toe Salon and Boutique
The usual David Yurman Rings
Silver Miller Thong Sandals-- Tory Burch

The make-up and hair is very low maintenance. (Stacy will hate that I took a picture with such un-styled hair!)

...Today, I encourage you to buy local! Anything- clothes, food, produce, antiques. Our economy is in the shape it is because we continue to outsource everything. Sometimes the prices are steeper, but often times, like at Head Too Toe, the prices are more reasonable. I’ve always strongly believed that “you get what you give.” Wherever you are from, do something to give back to the community. 

No comments:

Post a Comment