Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Shopaholics? Are they Real?

Ever since Sophie Kinsella introduced her book series of Shopaholics, the term has been used to describe fashionistas everywhere. I would even bet that most women have been coined “shopaholics” at one point. The books are fabulous and comedic. We later saw Confessions of a Shopaholic made into a movie. So basically this girl is in major debt because she shops-- a lot... actually TOO much. The story is her journey of finding a job and eventually falling in love with a millionaire. Yes, such a fairytale. While that is a great story, it is far from the actual truth. Most shopaholics get themselves into debt, can pay only the minimum due on their credit card bills because they are working at minimum wage job. And the guy? Well he may be there at the end but more often than not he won’t be a millionaire. Let me tell you the truth about a shopaholic...
She is a lover of high fashion-- always wanting the best and finest things in life. Her materialistic items are worth more to her than anything intangible: emotions, relationships, etc. She is an impulse buyer and continuously buys items searching for happiness and satisfaction. She spends money she doesn’t have because the idea is greater than the reality. Her most valuable relationships she has are with her clothes, shoes, and handbags.
That girl is me. I am a shopaholic to my core. And only recently did I admit that. I am a 22 year old unemployed and ex-student who spends money as if I am in the top 1% of our nation’s elite. Right now I have no other means of income besides my parents and the allowance they give me. If at any moment they decided to cut me off financially, I would not know where to begin to stand on my own. My parents both make a decent living. They are definitely not millionaires, although dad claims that he would be if he didn’t have a family (which is probably a true statement). I know their money will end once I’m out of school and looking for full time jobs. So I have started to stress lately. If I don’t change my purchasing habits, I will be in debt forever. While that is a strong thought, it is never strong enough to keep me from buying that stunning dress or the newest Louis Vuitton. 
Sadly, my best relationships are with my clothes/handbags/shoes. I tell everyone that... but no one takes me seriously. Most think I am only kidding. People also laugh when I tell them that “my clothes will never leave me.” I really don’t understand? My parents have been happily married for over 30 years and they were high school sweethearts. No guy has ever left me... yet I have the fear that it will happen. So I replace that fear with material objects that I can control. I love my fashionable items sometimes more than I love myself. It is a deeply rooted psychological issue. But I know I’m not alone in this world. Otherwise, how would you explain the increase in luxury goods when the economy is at its worst?
Purchasing an item gives me a high. A high that drug addicts feel from cocaine; alcoholics get from one more shot of tequila; smokers get from that cigarette they haven’t had all day. It begins as a feeling of “need.” I absolutely must buy. When I see the desired object, I lust for it. As I swipe my card, I feel content. With the bag in my hand, I feel satisfied. Once I display my new item to friends and family, I feel incredibly happy. Later, when I’m by myself, I feel guilt. Then I feel the sudden urge to feel happy and satisfied again... It’s a cycle that will never end. 
So yes. The answer to my question is that Shopaholics ARE real. And within the next few months, you will get the inside scoop of the typical day of a shopaholic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment